What to do if I am a freelance code and recently one of the websites I have worked for has decided to not pay me for my work?

We have no agreement in writing but I can prove all the work is mine. What do I do?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for the work you did: an oral (or verbal) agreement to pay someone for performing services is enforceable. You would need to be able to prove by a "preponderance of the evidence" (i.e. that it is more likely than not) that there was an agreement to pay you for services; the amount of compensation; and that you did the work specified, to an acceptable commercial standard. You could use your testimony, emails or text messages, etc. to prove your case. For several thousand dollars, you should retain an attorney; for several hundred dollars, it may be better to represent yourself in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.