What are my rights to more fair reimbursement regarding the use of my personal vehicle for work?

I am a field employee and am full-time on salary and considered a “corporate field employee”. I drive my own personal vehicle for work and average about 2500 miles a month. My company uses a service for mileage reimbursement. I received a flat rate of $260 per month and they are averaging my per mile reimbursement over the flat rate at 13 cents a mile. I pay for all of my auto maintenance, as well as provide my own full coverage auto insurance. The reimbursement is no where near covering gas, maintenance, insurance, wear and tear, and depression iation. Is this legal?

Asked on December 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is perfectly legal: the law does not require *any* consideration for the use of your car (e.g. any reimbursement for gas, mileage, depreciation, maintenance, etc.), so it is completely voluntary on the part of the employer whether to offer reimbursement or a car allowance and, if so, how much. You can try to negotiate for more, of course, they are not required to give it to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.