I am a F-1 student visa holder in America. What is step by step process to sponsor my parent in USA?

I hold F-1 student visa in America. Please give me all possible ways.

Asked on March 9, 2019 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

To sponsor your parents to the US as what?  To visit?  To immigrate?  If they are looking to visit, there is no s ponsorship needed.  They simply need to apply for a visitor's visa with the US Consulate in their home country and provide evidence of strong ties to their home country such that they would not be considered a flight risk.  To sponsor them for permanent residence you are not able to do while a F-1 student; you must be a US citizen in order to be able to petition parents for permanent residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.