If I am a cyclist that had a crash that was caused by a dog at large, how do I recover my medical bills from the dog’s owner?

What is my best course of action to try and recover my bills? The dog owner says he has renters insurance. Will this type of accident be covered by his renters insurance. My ER bills come to $10,000 after CAT scan, MRI, and stitches.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not it is covered by renter's insurance depends on the terms of  his policy. To try to recover from him--whether he has insurance to indemnify him, or from his own personal assets--you would sue him. (You can start with a request or demand for compensation, but if he doesn't pay, you'll have to sue.) If he was at fault in some way in causing your accident, there is a good chance you can establish liability and potentially recover medical costs, lost wages, possibly some pain and suffering. He'll be liable if the way he let his dog roam was either negligent (or unreasonably careless) under the circumstances or violated lease, etc. laws. For $10,000+, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.