If I am a convicted felon on probation and was arrested for a misdemeanor, could this revoke my probation?

Today I was arrested for shoplifting which I did not do. I purchased items from a store and left with bag and receipt. Once I left the store they stopped me and asked me to come with them to their office. They took my pocketbook and bag into another room and returned a few minutes later and asked if they could look in it. I agreed as I had taken nothing. They said I went into the dressing room with jewelry and did not come out with it. I purchased the piece I wanted and put the rest on a shelf. I offered to show them but they would not let me.

Asked on March 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your arrest for alleged shoplifting and potential conviction for this crime will end your probation as a convicted felon, you need to carefully read the terms and conditions of your probation order. The answer to your question will be there.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.