If I am a convicted felon, is it possible to get my passport and right to leave the country?

I was convicted og the sale and deliveryof schedule 2 narcotics Class C felony and 6 counts forgery. All ran as a crime spree 5 years ago.

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you are not still on probation, you can obtain a passport and travel freely. The only exception might be if you are traveling to a country that has a prohibtion against entry by felons, for example Canada. What you should dio is to check withe the consulate of the counrty that you are going to travel to; they can let you know what restrictions, if any, you can expect. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.