If I am a contractor with the military overseas and will receive hardship and danger pay for 1 year, do I have to pay child support on that portion of my income?

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as you are under a court order for child support regardless you are an oversees contractor military contractor you are required to pay the amount of child support ordered. Most child support orders are based upon a set amount as opposed to a percentage of one's monthly income.

If the court order is based upon a percentage of your monthly income then you are required to pay child support on such income for for hardship and danger pay. I suggest that you carefully read the child support order in effect as to you. The answer to your question will be within it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.