What are my rights to pay regarding being off work due too a medical issue?

I am a contracted employee and work for a private security company contracted to the county I work at the county jail. I was relieved of my duties yesterday during my shift and escorted off of the property. I was told by a county supervisor that I could not return to work without a doctor’s release. I went to the doctor’s office and got a work release. I then called my supervisor and he informed me that regardless of my doctor’s note, I could not return to finish my shift, go to work today as scheduled and that he would have to wait until tomorrow to talk with the Captain at the jail. Will I be paid since I had to leave not of my own accord and not allowed to return although I met the conditions the contract holder?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor about your situation and your entitlement or not to be paid while you are on medical leave. If your medical issue results from a work related matter, then you should make a worker's comepnsation claim with your employer.

Assuming you are part of a union at work then you should discuss the situation with your union representative and your ability to be paid while on leave.

Until I know the reasons why you are not to return to work per your "captain", I cannot give you an opinion as to your entitlement to pay when you are not at work based upon the facts you have presented.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.