I am a British citizen working for a British company

I am a British citizen working for a British company, the company now wants me to
go and work for the parent company in the US for a few months, which will be
longer than 90 days. What kind of Visa do I need for this?

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You would need a L-1 intracompany visa but this is something that the company should take care of for you since they would be the employer in the US.  Depending on whether this is a managerial/executive level position or a specialized knowledge occupation, it would either be a L-1A or L-1B visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.