If I am a beneficiary of my parents’ Trust, can I appoint a POA to deal with the Trustee?

My sister is the Successor Trustee. Since dealing with her is difficult in good circumstances, I would like to give my husband POA to act on my behalf in an attempt to avoid even greater difficultly at this sad time. The POA would be specific to this event. The Trust is split 50/50 with my sister. The estimated worth of the estate including cash, home, household furnishings is somewhere between 600K-700K.

Asked on November 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Yes, generally speaking you can give your Husband a POA to deal with this specifically or to deal generally with certain matters.  If the Trust involves real property then you may need to be specific on the transfer, etc., so as to protect everyone involved.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.