What can I do if I’m insolvent and can’t afford to file for bankruptcy

I am a 68 year old senior and have come to the end of my road. I only live on social security and very small pension. I have a little over $10,000 in credit card debt. Am paying out $300 a month in payments on these cards. I get $25 a month in food stamps. Can I stop paying these credit cards as they cannot touch my income and claim judgment proof? I have to use what little balance I have on cards to buy food. Went to attorney for consultation and cannot afford to file for bankruptcy. My only asset is a 7 year old car that is paid for.

Asked on July 18, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Is it the Court fees that you can not afford, the attorney fees or both?  If you only live on Social Security and you fall under the "indigent" status then there is an application for the court fees to be waived.  As for the legal fees try legal aid - I think you may qualify - or an service for the elderly.  Also try local bar associations as they have pro bono - free - programs.  And sometimes law schools have clinics. Social security is exept from a judgemnt. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.