What to do about SS survivor benefits?

I am a 40 year old widow with 2 children, ages 14 and 17. I’m currently receiving SS survivors benefits. Why was I told by SS that I cannot receive widow’s benefits since I am caring for minor children? Also, when my son turns 18 his benefits end. Would I qualify at that time for widow’s benefits?

Asked on August 11, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with an attorney who practices law in the area of social security benefits in your community. If you do not know one, one can be found on attorneypages.com or through your local legal aid clinic. You should be entitled to widow's benefits based upon what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.