What can I do if I am now being charged with grand larceny?

I am a 34 year old single mother and a couple months ago I was struggling. My son has severe allergies and is prescribed several asthma medications. My Medicaid was cancelled because they say that I make too much money; at the time my total monthly income was $800. My rent alone was $650. Combined with daycare expenses and food, my expenses were way above my income. Add the expense of his medication and you can understand why I was stressed. So I stole a $500 necklace from a family member and pawned it. I pawned it out of state. This is my first offense but I have been reading on the internet a lot and saw that this could carry a minimal automatic 2 year prison time.

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are being charged with a serious offense, a felony. I suggest that you consult immediately with a criminal defense attorney such as a public defender that you may qualify for to see what your options are. If this is your first offense, you might qualify for court probation where if you satisfy its terms the charge may be dismissed and you have no jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.