If I have been separated from my legal wife for 3 years and now she moved in with her abusive boyfriend, how do I protect my 4 year old?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is time for you to seek legal help in filing for divorce and physical custody of your child based on what the court's use in determining the issue: the best interests of the child.  Seek help from an attorney about what factors the courts use in making that determination. You are going to have to come up with a plan for taking care of her and keeping her safe. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.