If I am a 15 year old boy who no longer wants to live with my family, how can I get a guardian appointed?

Eariler this year i was removed from my mother’s home on my own whim due to unstable condictions. These conditions and extreme fighting have carried over to my father’s and I have decided to leave the family. I would like to appoint a personal friend as my legal guardian. He is 41, has never been in trouble with the law and is finacially secure. I would live with him until am 18. How would I do this legally? What steps should I take if this must be taken to court?

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggets that you consult with your local department of social services fo assistance in the matter that you have written about for the possible appointment of the adult that you have written about as a possible guardian for you. Another option would be for your to consult with a family law attorney to commence a petition for the appoitment of a guardian for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.