What to do if I am 78 years old and want to put my home in my son’s name?

What would happen (God forbid) if he would die before me, he and his wife divorces or seperate before I die or they both would get killed at the same time. I Will I have lifetime rights?

Asked on March 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can give the home to your son and keep a "life tenancy" in it, which will enable you to live there until the end of your life. Doing so properly can be tricky, and there are also tax consequences (for your son; and possibly you) to consider, so you are advised to consult with both an attorney and a tax professional and allow them to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.