What can I do if I’m 43 years old and ran a background check on myself and found that someone was convicted on several charges using my personal information?

How can I clear this up? I have never been arrested or even stopped in my life time.

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Criminal Law, New York


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to the law enforcement agency that is reporting the charges, let them fingerprint you, and potentially file charges for identity theft.  If the agency isn't close to where you live, then go to your local agency and have them help you reach out to the appropriate agency. 
You may also need to hire a civil attorney to assist you in filing for expunctions based on identity theft. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.