I am 22 years old, if my step dad kicks me out of the house what can I do

he did not give me a notice to leave he just said to pack my things and get out

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were initially there with permission and permission has since been revoked then your are subject to eviction as a "guest".  In New York for example you would have to be given 3 days notice to quit before you could be put out.  Why don't you put a quick call into legal aid or a law school clinic to find out what the law in Florida provides.

B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to find a place to live.  Your step-father isn't under any legal obligation to support you, and neither is your mother, at your age.  Unless your name is on the deed to the house, you have no right to live there.

If your name is on the deed, your rights have been violated, and you should talk to a lawyer, for reliable advice on what to do next.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.