I f I’m 22 years old and got a DUI, do I need to get a lawyer, public defender or just represent myself?

I am guilty, however I got in a car accident that left me unconscious for some hours. I dont remember being bought in and according to paper work I admitted I had been drinking and signed a paper handing over my ID. I don’t know what I can do about getting charges reduced.

Asked on March 25, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will not get a public defender unless you truly cannot afford an attorney; if you *can* afford one, even if you'd really rather not pay the cost, you will denied a public defender.

You should definitely hire a lawyer. An experienced DUI/DWI attorney who is LOCAL and knows the prosecutor(s) and the judge(s) will greatly increase you chance of minimizing the charges and punishment as much as possible. The lawyer will also be able to advise you as to other things (maybe entering a treatment program, or at least taking a defensive driving course) that will also help you when you court date comes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.