What to do if I’m 21 years of age and got arrested after a quick conflict with my 16 year old brother and charged with child abuse but I never hit him?

All that happened was that I pushed him and when he started swinging, I put him in a headlock to make him stop. Should I plead not guilty when I go to court?

Asked on June 29, 2014 under Criminal Law, Utah


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to discuss what happened with an experienced criminal defense attorney.  your attorney would review the States allegations which you do not provide, review the injuries, paperwork and discuss with the DA a resolution that will hopefully not result in your having a criminal record. If you are indigent, you can ask to have a public defender appointed. NY does not expunge  criminal convictions. Hire an attorney if you have the means, to protect your future. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.