I am 18 or older and my mother is pretending to me.

I am 18 or older. My mother constantly opens my mail, mail from my work, mail from my cell phone provider, etc. She has opened up my work checks, forged my signature, and then cashed the check in my name without telling me. She calls my cell phone provider knowing my social and unlocks my billing details and passwords. I’m at my wits end. Isn’t this against the law? How can I press charges?

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am shocked that your mother is doing such a thing!  Yes, you can call the police as what she is doing is against the law.  The question is whether you want your mother to be arrested?  Does she have some sort of emotional/health issues?  Why is she doing this?  I think that you want her to get treatment as opposed to jail....  If she does need help, you should contact a psychologist and ask what if anything can be done from their perspective.  Otherwise, you may call the police and show them the evidence you have against her. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.