What to do if I am 18 and am facing a public intoxication charge?

It is my first offense and I wish to have it removed from the record permenantly. I do not have the money to pay an attorney and I have my first court apperance/arraignment tomorrow. What can I do or say to urge the court to remove the charges?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that when you appear on court that you seek the appointment of a public defender or a court appointed attorney to represent you in the matter you have written about. From there you might be able to negotiate court probation since the matter you have wtitten about is your first offense.

If you get court probation, pay the fine, attend the ordered classes and abide by the terms of the probation there is a chance that your might have the charge against you dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.