If I am 17 years old and am trying to move out of my house instead of having to moving out of state, am I legal to leave?

I will be 18 in October. I have found a place that is in my price range. Is it legal for me to move out without emancipation?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not.  You are still considered to be a minor and under the "control" of your parent.  They themselves have legal obligations and they could get in trouble becuase of them.  And you as a minor can not enter in to a contract - which a llease to an apartment represents - so do not be so sure you could rent what you have found.  Is it possible that you can speak with your parents about remaining in Texas until you have finished school, possibly with a friend and his or her family?  That could legally be arranged.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.