What is my next step if I ate moldy bread ata restaurant and was later admitted to the ER?

I ordered a cheese burger at a fast food chain. I ate 2 bites of the burger not realizing the bread was moldy. The next day I was admitted into a local ER. I have pictures, documents and everything that is needed to take legal actions. I am 17 years old.

Asked on July 30, 2014 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Were your injured or made sick? If so, how sick--and how large are your out-of-pocket (paid by you or your parents/legal guardian, not by insurance) medical bills? The reason this is critical is that even if the restaurant was negligent in serving you moldy bread (which they may have been), you can only recover compensation related to the amount of costs you incurred, the amount of wages (if any) you lost, and, for serious illnesses or injuries which caused impairment for several weeks or months, some amount for "pain and suffering" (though unless there was permanent disability of some kind, this amount is likely modest, not large). If you were, as we hope, fortunately enough to only be, perhaps, sickened for a day or two, and incur a few hundred dollars (or less) of out-of-pocket medical bills, it is not likely worth the cost of lawsuit; since you would need medical testimony in a case like this, and medical experts do not come cheap, you could easily spend more on the lawsuit than you would get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.