What to do if my girlfriend is underage and her father is saying that if we do not break up that when I turn 18 he will have me charged with statutory rape?

I am 17 and she is 15; I’m 2 years and 3 months older. He recently found out we have had a sex. From what I gathered is that under state law, if the defendant is 4 years older than the other party, they can be charged with a Class C felony. He also mentioned that when I turn 18 even hand holding is grounds for arrest. Can I be charged now or when I turn 18? What my risks are, etc.?

Asked on November 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It appears that in your state, you will not be breaking the law if you are intimate with your girlfirend when you turn 18: for there to be a legal violation in NC, not only must one person be older than 18 and the other younger, but they must also be at least four years apart in age. Given how close the two of you are in age, you will not appear to be violating any law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.