What can I do if I’m 17 and wrongfully accused my dad of touching me because I was really mad at him?

If I tell the officer that is assigned to my case that I lied, what will happen to me?

Asked on December 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since you are a minor most likely nothing terribly bad will happen to you if you tell the truth. I suggest that you confide with a neutral adult such a a teacher at school that you need a child's advocate and even a lawyer to represent you before you sit down with the officer assigned your case to discuss what you have written above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.