If I am 14 years old and looking to emancipate my father and live with my mother full time, how would I do that?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are in the state of Florida, correct?  Flordia allows the emancipation of a minor but at the age of 16, not 14.  You would have to file a petition and a "plan" of sorts for you to take care of yourself with out governmental assistance.  Here it seems that all you wish to do is to switch households.  If your Mother is in agreement then she can bring a petition to modify the custody order and ask that you be placed with her.  You will be asked to testify in the proceeding.  Courts want to hear your reasons and they want them to be "good" reasons and not that your Dad is too strict or won't let you watch tv.  The court wants to see that you wish to foster a relationship with your Mom and reasons that surround doing just that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.