i am 14 and my boyfriend is 17 if i ever had sex can my parents put him in jail? or if i ever got pregnant?

i am 14 and my parents dont want me with him i have been with him for almost 2

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Potentially.  If your parents find out that you and he have had sexual relations, then they could request that charges be pressed against your boyfriend.  This means that he would be arrested, charged as a sex offender, and be required to post a bond.  Your boyfriend, not you, is at great risk for some serious consequences because of your relationship.
The only good news is that Texas has what is called the Romeo and Julliet Law.  If you and your boyfriend are within three years of age of each other and any sexual acts were consensual, then he would have a defense to the charges.  A defense means that your boyfriend, after being arrested, could have a way to get out of the charges and avoid a lengthy jail sentence or a sex offender registration requirement.
Assuming that your boyfriend can "beat the charges", the charge will remain on his record and he will not be able to expunge the charges.  This means that when he goes to apply for a job, some employers will see it and may deny him employment because of the arrest.
I'm not trying to sound preachy, but this is a serious situation.  It sounds like you have been in this relationship for a long period of time and that you care about him.  If you don't want him to be labeled as a sex offender, consider the consequences on his life before ya'll engage in any activities that would subject him to this kind of risk. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.