If I accepted a position at a ranch that also has rental cottages and the job included housing but the job has not worked out, can I be evicted without formal notice?

On Monday I was told the ranch was closing early and that I would have to be out of the mobile home within 7 days. This was all done by text. There was no prior warning, no complaints about my work, nothing. Can they do this without a proper eviction? Can they turn off the lights off?

Asked on November 13, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Wyoming


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since your right to occupancy was contingent on your employment, you lost this right once your employment ended. In other words, since you received housing as part of your job, then your tenancy ended when your job did. Accordingly, you will have to vacate within the time specified by your former employer, unless there is some employment agreement guaranteeing you notice. The fact is that employee housing is a benefit so it can be stopped at any time for any reason at your employer's discretion. The company need not go through formal landlord-tenant eviction procedures; your housing is a company benefit therefore you are not a tenant under the law. You and your belongings can be immediately removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.