husband with susoended license drives uninsured car which is in wifes name

I did not have car insurance and the car is in my name, was not driving at the time and notified dmv of this, the car is registered in my name, without my permission, or Knowledge, my husband who had his driving privaleges suspended got in the car drunk and hit another vehicle , the insurance company says I am liable and expect me to pay 7038 dollars or they say they can have dmv in oregon suspend my license for non-payment is this true?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Accident Law, Oregon


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It might very well be true.  I don't practice law in Oregon and the rules differ from one state to another, and there may be other facts besides those that you've mentioned, that could be important.  For advice you can rely on, you need to have your whole case evaluated by a lawyer in your area.  One place to look for the attorney you need is our website,

In many states, you are breaking the law by not turning in your license plates if there is no insurance on the car.  And in many states, as the owner of the car, you are going to be liable for whatever damage is done with the car, unless it's stolen by a complete stranger.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.