Can I get court ordered child support without divorce?

My husband will not bring his earnings to the household. He does not contribute to home or expenses of our 2 children. He earned $60,000 so far this year but only brought home $4200.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to obtain a full and legal separation order against him while you file for divorce. The separation order will mandate things like spousal and child support and visitation and custody. These are interim financial issues that need to be handled immediately and look like they cannot wait until divorce is granted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.