If my husband wants me to leave home and says he’s going to have roommate move in, how can I stop him?

I’ve for been married for 20 years. He says he wants me to move out and give him our mortgaged home.

Asked on October 1, 2011 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You do not have to move out and he can not force you.  If he tries to become physical and force you in that way call the police and then file for a restraining order to keep him away.  But there is not legal remedy for him unless he files for divorce and requests exclusive occupancy of the marital home, which you will fight tooth and nail.  I think that it may be a good idea for you to seek legal help in your area.  The particulars of your situation - both emotional and financial - need to be addressed with some one that can look at the whole picture.  There is obviously a lot going on here and it needs to be straightened out.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.