What are my rights if my husband is selling all property before he files for divorce or hiding it soI get nothing?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness!  You need to get legal help here as soon as you can.  You need to file for a restraining order against your husband to stop him from selling - also called dissipating - marital assets.  You must know what the assets are if you know what he is attempting to hide as well so get your hands on everything that you can that you know of that contains information on the assets that you believe would be considered marital property.  Even if he transfers the assets before you have the ability to restrain him you should be able to get some justice as to the matter in court.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.