If my husband passed away, what do I need to do in order to get a title established to sell his truck?

Asked on December 1, 2013 under Estate Planning, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First you need to see if legal title is held jountly with you or not. If jountly, then you need to get a certified copy of his death certificate and an affidavit of surviving joint tenant and take to your local DMV to change title to you. If not, you will most likely need to probate his estate and get a court orde transferring totle of the vehicle to you. An attorney in your locality to assist you can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.