What can be done if my husband’s first wife filed for bankruptcy and his credit was affected?

My husband and I recently married; he got divorced about 5 years ago from his first wife. She filed for bankruptcy 2 years ago and his name was on a couple accounts. We only found out when we tried to consolidate some accounts at our bank. Now they will not let him move accounts around nor open any new ones. Is there anything we can do?

Asked on October 22, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Who was resposnsible fot the payment of the bills pursuant to the divorce decree/judgment.  Debts payable under a divorce decree or settlement agreement are non-dischargeable, however, if you knew of the filing or the bankruptcy and did not preserve your rights, it may be too late to complain.  Seek experienced bankruptcy counsel to get an opinion as to whether the debt is still recoverable against the ex-wife.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.