If my husband and I are divorcing and had community property papers signed, notarized, filed and recorded, can he just have them overturned?

He freely signed the community property papers, did not contest anything. Now he says he regrets giving me what he did and is taking me to court to get what’s his. Now 5 months later he wants them changed. Can he just have the papers overturned or thrown out?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He cannot simply have the papers overturned; however, the court will have to review his filing and see if he has extinguished his rights based on filing the proper documentation. If you have already obtained a divorce, it would be much more difficult to reverse anything. If you are still in the process of divorce and the court is still reviewing this joint agreement, it may very well allow him to change his mind because a final order has not been issued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.