What are my rights regarding an HR confidentiality violation?

Recently, I had an HR representative come to my worksite and ask all management about their goals within the company. One of the questions I was asked was what attracted me to the company. I said I had recently found out that my wife and I were expecting triplets and I needed to make more money. Roughly a month later, my general manager sat me down and told me that my district manager was told by the HR representative that I was only at my company for the money. Not only was my statement misconstrued, but I feel that even if it was true, it shouldn’t have been shared with my boss. Since then, I feel as though im being scutenized at my job. Am I wrong, or does this sound like I have a case?

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is little right to privacy in the workplace. Accordingly, unless such a disclosure as you have described violated the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, you have no claim. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the condtions of the worklace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionble discrimination). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.