What to do if a computer manufacturer recently serviced my laptop and in the process purposefully deleted my data without permission?

File backup is supposed to recommended by representatives before sending in computers but this was not done in my case and a call to the center during repair promised the data was safe. The fine print in the terms mentions they are not responsible for data loss, but this information was not readily available over the phone. HP alos refuses to release the call logs in which I would have proof that I was not warned. The loss of data has severely affected my school work and part time employment. Can I sue and how much would the settlement be?

Asked on March 28, 2013 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You probably can sue, but you'd likely recover comparatively little: in cases like this, the recovery or compensation is typically limited to the cost of replacing the data itself (e.g. buying new books or video or music files) and does not include compensation for the time it takes you to do this, or the impact on schooling or employment, or emotional loss (e.g. if there was anything special to you on the machine). Bear that limitation in mind when deciding whether to sue and, if you do sue, whether to retain an attorney or represent yourself (pro se).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.