How would one delay the time to enter US after being selected for a green card?

And for how long could this 6 month time frame
be postponed or lengthened? Would
documenting a work related situation help?
Which official department would one need to
address regarding the subject? Many thanks.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

When you are approved for a green card and a visa is issued to you, it has the time frame during which you need to enter the US in order to activate it.  Just be sure you do it during that time frame.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.