How would my father go about adding me to the deed on his house?

In case something were to happen to him and keep from state getting it?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to have him execute a new deed which effectively gifts you part of the house.  Do not simply pull up a deed online.  You need to visit with a real estate attorney before you decide which deed is most appropriate for your father's situation.  If your dad is about to apply for certain government benefits or file for bankruptcy, then the transfer could be considered a sham transfer.  An attorney can help you with the appropriate timing.

You also want to make sure that you execute a deed that minimizes the tax consequences to yourself.  Again, a real estate attorney can help you zone in on the type of deed that will best suit your needs. 

I know it sounds a bit over cautious to refer you to a real estate attorney, however, you don't want to execute a deed where the effects cannot be undone later, if need be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.