How would I go about having a non-family resident removed from an estate property?

Asked on June 25, 2014 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the person was a tenant, they most likely cannot be removed, if they are still paying their rent, obeying their lease, and otherwise being a "good" tenant--your state's law makes it very difficult to remove tenants who are honoring their obligations. (On the other hand, if not paying rent, if violating the lease, if damaging the property, etc., they may be evicted by filing an eviction, or summary dispossess, action in landlord-tenant court.) If not a tenant--that is, if had been a guest, for example, of the person who died, the executor or administrator (if the property has not yet been distributed) or the beneficiary who received the property (if it has been distributed) may file an action "for ejectment," which is basically eviction for non-tenants; a non-tenant guest has no right to stay if the property is now owned or controlled by someone who wants them out. An ejectment action can be somewhat technical and complex; an attorney should be retained to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.