How would I go about having the right taken away from my son’s father?

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Family Law, Florida


Gregory Buckley / Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In Florida, it can be very difficult to have someone's parental rights terminated, due to the fact that the public policy of the state is that it is in the best interests of a child to have an ongoing relationship with both parents.

If you are seeking to do a step-parent adoption, you can ask the biological father if he will consent to having his parental rights terminated as part of the process.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your question pertains to custody of visitation rights of the father being taken away, then you need to consult with a family law attorney as to whether or not there is a legal basis to do what you wish and then make your decision. If you are asking about stripping the father of his parental rights via someone adopting the child in his place, such cannot be done unless the biological father agrees to such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.