How would a minor get emancipated from their parents?

I am a 14 year old girl and I would like to seek help on how to get emancipated from my parents. I understand how you would think this is foolish but I’m doing what is best for me not everyone else.

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation as you perceive it to be.  But unfortunately you are too young to petition for emancipation under the laws of the state of Texas.  Here is the law in a nutshell: 

"A person who is 17 years of age or 16 years of age and financially independent can petition for emancipation (removal of the disabilities of minority for general purposes). If the person wishes to sue for emancipation, they may do so under their own name, like an adult. The petition must state the name, age, and place of residence of the petitioner, the names and places of residence of all living parents, guardians, or managing conservators of the petitioner, the reasons why emancipation is in the petitioner's best interests, and the purposes of emancipation."

If things are really that bad for you is it possible for you to speak with an adult family member or close family friend to help intercede in some way?  Otherwise you have to wait 2 years at least.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.