How to stop a divorce.

My spouse filed for a divorce
a couple weeks ago and has
changed their mind since. It
hasn’t been seen by a lawyer
yet and I have not received
any paperwork. Can he get this
dropped/dismissed before we
get a courtdate, and if so,

Asked on December 18, 2018 under Family Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Your spouse can stop the divorce by filing a request for dismissal with the court. 
If the dismissal is with prejudice, the case cannot be reinstated.
If the dismissal is without prejudice, the case can be reinstated in the future.
The request for dismissal is a court form.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.