How to stay in the US legally?

How to stay in the US legally?I changed status from E2 dependent to F1 2 months ago because I wanted to finish school and my E2 was expiring due to the fact I turned 21 about 2 moths ago. I haven’t registered for classes yet (they start at the end of next month). I just got engaged and want to delay school; I plan to marry in 3 months. How can I stay here legally or is there a change of status I need to do? I am engaged to an american citizen and I already have my F1, it’s the first time I got it and school has not started yet.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So you don't need to do anything at this point.  Once you are lawfully married to the US citizen, you will file for your permanent resident status on the basis of marriage.  You can file for that as soon as you are legally married.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.