How to set up estate for my deceased father if he dies without a Will?

My father passed away in OR; I live in CA. He did not fill out beneficiary paperwork for his 401k, Now, I’ve been told that I have to open an estate account. I don’t know what to do or where to start. It is a small sum.

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It sounds a sif your Father's estate may qualify as a small estate in Alaska.  It appears that any estate process requires going through the courts there which requires being appointed as Personal Representative.  I am going to give you a link to the self-help of the Alaska Courts.  It should help get you started.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.