How to retrieve a lost Term Life Insurance Policy

My ex-husband had died. Prior to him passing, he told me he had purchased a life insurance policy but didnt mention the the insurance company name. He also told me his Sister, our Son and Myself were the beneficiaries and that his sister was aware of the policy too.However, since he was hospice, he resided with his parents and sister. After he had passed, my son and I had collected surviving child and spouse benefits from Social Security. When I had brought up the life insurance policy to his family, they denied they never heard of such thing. Months go by and im observing

new vehicles that the family were driving as well moved to a different county.Since the family moved, I don’t know how to go about retrieving information about the policy or if we have a claim. Could you kindly advise me how to find this policy since ex-husband’s family does not want to talk to us?

Asked on October 21, 2017 under Insurance Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your ex-husband's family has cheated you out of benefits which should have come to you and your son--for example, that the sister or her family took all of the life insurance money, instead of sharing it with you--you could sue her for theft: for stealing money to which you are entitled. In the course of that lawsuit, you could use legal process to get a copy of any policy, any correspondence with the insurer, any checks or other payment, etc. However, you can only use that legal process to compel the release or production of information or documents in a lawsuit, not otherwise, which means you'd have to sue before knowing 100% that there is anything to sue over. Other than simply contacting every insurer out there and seeing if any of them do have a record of the policy, suing is the only way forward for you, and, as stated, could result in you filing a pointless lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.