how to restore my credit

As a new immgrant to tih country(USA),i was deceived into co-signing for a house that destroyed my credit score due to deliberate non payment.How do I get out of this situation?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are in an unfortunate situation.  However, credit is one of those things that can be repaired over time.  It does take some time however and is not an overnight thing.  There are lots of companies out there that engaged in the business of credit repair.  I suggest googling on the internet "credit repair" and several companies should come up.  You can call them for a free consultation and they are generally very happy to work with you to improve your credit.  That is where i would begin.  I would also make sure that you are timely paying all your bills to avoid any late payments being registered.  Also, be cautious about how many times you let people run your credit score.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.