How to reduce speed on a speeding ticket

My son got a speeding ticket on I-84 from a CT State trooper. The trooper came up
from behind and pulled him over. Gave him a ticket for doing 85 in a 65 zone. No
radar was used, the trooper based the speed by following him. My son pleaded not
guilty hoping to reduce the speed down. What is the best way to do that? Note- his
car was hit a few weeks prior to getting the ticket. Front passenger quarter panel is
pretty dented but ok to drive, however something that would prevent him from doing
excessive speeds. Is this a valid argument? Or should I argue that judging speed
by following a car is inaccurate?

Asked on October 11, 2017 under General Practice, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Judging speed by following *is* considered accurate and is an accepted way to judge speed; you will not win on this argument.
2) To argue that the quarter panel damage would prevent excessive speed, you MUST have an expert (maybe a mechanic who works with race or high-performance cars) appear in court and testify as to why, based on his experience, training, etc. the damage would preclude high speeds. Your opinion, or your son's opinion, as lay persons will simply not be accepted by the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.