How to recoup a salary overpaymentto a terminated employee?

Recently we had a payroll communication error that resulted in a $1,000+ regular earnings paid to an employee. This payment was neither intended for the employee nor was it specified in writing. However, to complicate the issue further, the employee was terminated before the error was discovered. Now, the former employee is reluctant to cooperate with us to repay the amount. What are the laws regarding recovery of this overpayment? If we are allowed by law to recover this payment, what would be the best route to do it?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.